Course Aims & Objectives
- On completion of the course the competent coach will be able to:
- Coach basic individual techniques.
- Understand the coaching process and how to develop and improve the Goalkeepers’ technique.
- Plan and prepare progressive technical practices. Maintain the health and safety of the players and other coaches. Maintain high standards of conduct to promote Association Football.
The practical elements of the course will provide candidates with the following elements:
- Specific goalkeeping warm ups and cool downs
- Coaching basic individual techniques including footwork, the set position, handling techniques, diving saves (catching/deflecting/parrying), dealing 1v1 situations and crosses
- Understanding how to develop and improve the Goalkeepers' technique
- Planning and preparing progressive technical practices
- Maintaining the health and safety of the players and other coaches
- Maintaining the high standards of conduct to promote Association Football
- The theoretical elements of the course will consolidate the key technical aspects of goalkeeping together with the Long Term Player Development (LTPD) model
Practical Involvement: Candidates are encouraged to participate practical to maximise their opportunities for learning (however inability to participate will not prevent successful completion of the award).
Prior to certification, candidates are required to:
- Be at least 16 years of age
- Hold as a minimum a current FA/ HSE Emergency Aid Certificate
- Have attended The FA Workshop Safeguarding Children in Football (candidates under the age of 18 years are eligible to complete The FA Child Protection Distance Learning Module ‘Safeguarding Children in Football – A Guide’ as an alternative to the workshop). For those with proven experience and knowledge in this area, Accreditation of Prior Learning (ALP) may be offered.
Minimum of 18 hours
Three days 9am-5pm, to be held within one month
Assessment is via successful practical delivery of a 15 minute goalkeeping coaching topic.
Re-assessment: Candidates can be reassessed within a twelve month period from registration.