Criminal Records Checks

The Protection of Freedoms Act made it a legal requirement for referees who regularly referee youth football, to hold a valid and current Criminal Records Check. This page will help you identify if you need one, and if so how to apply for one. Please note, referees will not be able to register for season 2017/18 if they do not satisfy current CRC requirements.

Who needs a CRC?

Current legislation states that anyone 16 or older who undertakes any unsupervised roles with children.  For referees this means any referee aged 16 or older who referees youth football (Under 18's and below) on a weekly basis or four times a month.

Why do I need a CRC?

It is footballs responsibility to ensure that children and vulnerable adults are protected and allowed to enjoy football in a safe environment.  We therefore need to be confident we can say the following:

  • We follow the correct procedures when recruiting people to work with Children
  • All relevant people have been checked (CRC)

What happens if I don't get a CRC?

Quite simply you will be breaking the Law and committing a Criminal Offence.  You would not be able to register and leagues would not be able to appoint you to Youth football.

How long does a CRC last?

Your CRC will last for 3 years.

What if I already have a CRC through work or other organisation?

In some cases if your current CRC meets the portability criteria you may not need another CRC.  The portability criteria is:

  • Your CRC has been registered for the DBS (Disclosure and Barring Service) update service
  • It is for the right workforce (Child)

There is a one-off charge of £10 for 'porting' a CRC from outside football in to The FA.  For most volunteers it is quicker and cheaper to apply for the FA CRC.

How much will my CRC cost?

The cost of your CRC will depend on your level and role within the referee workforce:

  • Level 4 - Level 10 referees, and assessors, mentors and coaches - £10 (Volunteers)
  • Level 1 - Level 3 referees, and tutors - £54 (Non-Volunteers)

Where can I get more information?

You can find more information by clicking here.  You can also contact Neil Yates or Chris Doherty in our Welfare Department.

How can I apply for a CRC?

There are two stages to the application:

  1. You must complete an online application
  2. You must arrange for your ID Documents to be verified by an approved person

To complete the online application please complete the following steps:

  1. Visit the Online Disclosure Website by clicking here
  2. Click Register
  3. Enter the information requested including:

Org Pin: 102278

Org Name: 1Lancashire CFA

Secret Word: Leyland

4. Once you have registered you can log in and complete the application process

5. Once you have uploaded your application, you need to contact our Welfare department to arrange for your ID Documents to be verified.

If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact us.