The origin of the Lancashire F.A. was due to a meeting held one Sunday afternoon in the old fashioned parlour of The Volunteer Inn, Bromley Cross, the time and the venue is all the more surprising in the view of the fact that John Lewis - a fearless advocate of teetotalism - was one of the party, the others being T. Hindle, of Darwen and W.T. Dixon, Secretary of Turton F.C. It was at the meeting referred to that the modus operandi was discussed, and arrangements made for a representative meeting of clubs to be held.
The date of the meeting was 28th September, 1878 and Lancashire F.A. was formed, which as events proved, became a great factor and influence, not merely in arranging matches, and fostering Association Football, but in guiding and leading the clubs of England when the titanic struggle of professionalism was fought and won.
The Lancashire FA runs a number of different cup competitions catering for the various levels of football played throughout the County, which is based on the historic county boundaries of Lancashire, before the 1974 county boundary re-organisation, rather than the current administrative county boundaries and so includes Barrow-in-Furness to the north, Manchester and Liverpool to the south, Blackpool and Morecambe on the west coast as well as Rochdale, Oldham and Burnley to the east.
The administrative area covered by the Lancashire County FA overlaps with areas covered by Manchester FA and Liverpool FA. According to the Memorandum on Areas and Overlapping of Associations the Manchester FA covers the area 12 miles from Manchester Town Hall and is confined to Lancashire. The Liverpool FA covers 18 miles in Lancashire and 8 miles in Cheshire from Liverpool Town Hall. In addition in an agreement with the Cumberland FA the Lancashire FA received eight clubs in the South Cumberland area of Millom from the end of season 1969/70.
The county is divided into nine areas with each area having a member on the LFA Council, The divisions are as follows:
Divisional Area 1: Burnley – Pendle – Rossendale Council Member: K. Inckle
Divisional Area 2: Blackburn with Darwen – Hyndburn – Ribble Valley Council Member: P. Mathauda
Divisional Area 3: Bolton Council Member: A. Ahmed
Divisional Area 4: Bury – Rochdale Council Member: J. Croke
Divisional Area 5: Chorley – Liverpool – West Lancashire Council Member: R. Haydock
Divisional Area 6: Preston – South Ribble – Blackpool – Fylde Council Member: N. Nye
Division Area 7: Oldham – Manchester Council Member: G. Blakeley
Division Area 8: Barrow – Lancaster – Wyre Council Member: J. Knagg
Division Area 9: St Helens – Wigan – Warrington Council Member: A. Greenhalgh
The Lancashire FA governs 100 leagues, 1000 clubs, 4,000 teams and 1,500 referees.
The Lancashire FA are based at the County Ground, Thurston Road in Leyland. They moved their headquarters to the County Ground in 1998 from Blackburn.
The County Ground is the current home of Bolton Wanderers U21 / development team, who play in the Barclays Premier U21 Development League, The club also use the ground for all their home matches in the Lancashire Senior Cup & Manchester Senior Cup. The county representative team and county youth team also use the ground for home matches, and were winners of the competition as recently as 2013-14 season. The ground has a 500-seater covered stand.
Facilities include a state-of-the-art 3g pitch as well as six corporate rooms, the largest of which, the Sir Tom Finney Suite, can seat up to 100 people.
For further details on any of the areas below, click for further details: