No running, but just as fun as regular football!
Walking football, a slow-paced version of the beautiful game, is available to play all over Lancashire.
Initially, walking football was designed to help older players rekindle their love for football, keeping them active and increasing physical activity in the process.
It has also proven beneficial for younger players who may be unable to play regular football - due to a long-term injury, for example.
The rules are adapted so there is no running and very little contact.
With less stress on the body and no real sudden change of direction or cutting movements, the game allows participants to play without apprehension and at their own pace.
Playing the game at walking pace is a fantastic way to keep fit and reduce chances of injury and falls.
Guidelines for Sessions:
- Players are not permitted to jog or run while the ball is in play. Those who do are penalised with a free-kick awarded to the opposing team
- If the ball goes off the pitch over the touchline, the game is restarted via a kick, roll or throw-in (to allow for different physical capabilities)
- It can be played indoors or outdoors
- Numbers per team are dependent on the number of participants at each session
- No pitch size/surface constraints - dependent on venue
- Sessions on average will last one hour with short breaks throughout game
- If you have concerns about your medical health, please contact your doctor and seek advice before participating
View the map below to find your nearest Walking Football centre!
If you're setting up a centre and would like us to help promote it, please get in touch.