Padiham FC 3-2 Winstanley Warriors

U21 County Cup Final

Padiham FC were crowned U21 County Cup Final champions, with a nervy 3-2 win over Winstanley Warriors at Lancashire FA.

Padiham took the lead just before half time on 23 minutes. Some fantastic work along the left flank from Millenic Alli opened up a gap for a cross and there was Luke Taylor to prod home and give Padiham the lead.

Moments later, Brendan Booth hit the cross bar for Winstanley Warriors, in what was a great opportunity to equalise so soon after going behind.

Dillan Rutter was then put through with a great pass over the top but Winstanley’s number nine couldn’t get his shot past Aiden Lofthouse in the Padiham goal.

Padiham took the lead into half time but it all changed in the second half. Just ten minutes after the restart, Bailey Meighan too a shot from 30 yards away after seeing the goalkeeper off his line and the ball whistled into the back of the net.

Then with 15 minutes on the clock, Padiham retook the lead in contentious circumstances. A lofted ball over the top from Will Ludlow-Foster dipped onto the goal line and appeared to be just over the line when the goalkeeper got a hold of it.

It was 3-1 moments later, as Jack Bishop broke clear and finished expertly at the near post.

You could’ve forgiven Winstanley Warriors for allowing their heads to drop, but they didn’t and they soon halved the defecit with five minutes on the clock. Substitute Tom Bateman did so well to gather the ball under his control and squeeze it past the oncoming Aiden Lofthouse to make it 3-2 and secure the victory for Padiham.


Padiham FC: Aiden Lofthouse, Kai Lawless, Luke Taylor, Joe Pennington, Cameron Lancaster, Jack Burrows, Millenic Alli, Aiden Duffy, Sean Ince, Ben Ashton, Will Ludlow-Foster

Substitutes: Mahamadou Diallo, Jack Foster, Jack Bishop, Luke Ramsden, Luke Cassidy

Winstanley Warriors: Ben Rosser, Jack Rooney, Lewis Rotherham, Adam Morris, Corey Morgan, Elliot Morris, Bailey Meighan, Dillan Rutter, Brendan Booth, Kian Winstanley, Taylor Cain

Substitutes: Tom Entwistle, Sam Unsworth, Dan Adamson, Tom Bateman

Referee: Morgan Yardley

Assistant Referees: Gordon Weir & Ben Matthews

Fourth Official: James Sharples