Ribbleton FC 3-3 Eleven Sports Media

Eleven Sports Media through 5-4 on penalties. Report by Jake Hartley-Moore (UCLan)

Eleven Sport Media FC caused a big upset to reach the final of the Poppy Signs Sunday Trophy Final after winning via penalty shoot out against Ribbleton FC.

Lee Catlow scored the winning penalty as Eleven Sport Media FC advanced through to final which will be played on May 2nd.

It was the favourites for the tie, Ribbleton who started the brighter and midfielder Carl Vasey nearly opened the scoring in spectacular fashion as his rasping 25 yard effort just veered away of the right hand post.

Ribbleton forward Ritchie Allen came inches away from giving them the lead moments later as great attacking play from Aaron Houghton allowed him to slip the ball into Allen, only for his finessed effort to curl inches away from the far post from inside the area.

Ribbleton’s early pressure soon paid off after ten minutes as Jordan Murdoch had managed to get back to his feet from a slip to intercept a through ball before chipping a high ball into an unmarked Gary Basterfield who guided his header past Jamie Cook.

Eleven Sport Media came agonisingly close to getting an equaliser as Tyler Attack gave Joe Griffiths his first save of the game as his sweetly struck effort from 30 yards required a fingertip save from Griffiths to keep their lead.

However Griffiths was unable to keep Ribbleton lead intact as great work by Joe Booth saw him win an aerial battle before advancing forward and curling into the bottom right corner from 25 yards on the stroke of half-time.

Less than 30 seconds into the second half, Eleven Sports Media took the whole of the Sir Tom Finney Stadium by surprise as substitute David Cram was quickest to pounce onto a through ball before placing it into the bottom corner from inside the box.

Ribbleton however managed to get themselves back in the game as great work on the far wing saw a dipping cross evade all of the Sport Media defence only for Basterfield to tap in within the six yard box.

Cram once again showed his pace and cool composure as similar to his first goal he was quickest to get on the end of a long through ball before expertly placing the ball past a stranded Griffiths.

Ribbleton though were not backing down and just six minutes later managed to find themselves level again as Allen created himself some space on the left hand side before his high chipped delivery into the box was met by with a precise header by Jordan Murdoch which nipped in off the post.

Allen had the opportunity to write himself in glory as he won a free kick on the right-hand side of the box , as his dipping free-kick smashed up against the upright on 90+6 minutes to take the tie to penalties, which Eleven Sports Media won 5-4 sparking jubilant scenes behind the goal.

Ribbleton FC

Griffith, Pickering, Seaward, Walker, Allen, Murdoch, D McElhone, S McElhone, Allen, Basterfield, Houghton

Substitutes: Armstrong, Ahmed, Murdoch, Hampson, Vasey


Eleven Sports Media

J Cook, L Cook, Tortelly, Catlow, Walker, Cassidy, Booth, Attack, Robinson, Fleming, Finlayson

Substitutes: Walsh, Wright, Wood, Finlayson, Cram

Referee: Richard Braithwaite

Assistant Referee: Daniel Slater

Assistant Referee: Martin Winters

Fourth Official: Shahid Iqbal